Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Super Epic Rainbow Cake!

So...I realize that it is 5-6 months from now, but I am already actively planning, or at least dreaming of Jamyn's perfect 1st birthday party celebration! I guess since Christmas Day, when I realized I was going into labor, I have always feared that my baby's birthday would forever be ruined each and every year because it falls SO inconveniently, the day AFTER Christmas...ugh. Poor thing. Since I worry about this so much, I vow to always make it very special for him, and I can't very well put a ton of effort in to only one of my children's birthdays, so obviously, I vow to always make Jackson's very special as well. So far, I feel I've done a pretty good job.


I need a theme, to go with an INCREDIBLE birthday cake that I plan on making for my sweet baby boy. Behold...the "Super Epic Rainbow Cake"!!!!


- Credit to blogger http://www.wisk-kid.com/ - HUGE PROPS







Full Directions for making "Super Epic Rainbow Cake", in case you'd like to try!






2 sticks (236 g) butter, room temp


1/3 c (463 g) sugar


5 egg whites room temp


2 teaspoons vanilla


3 c (426 g) flour


4 tsp baking powder


½ tsp salt


1 1/2 c (355 ml) milk, warmed for 30 sec in microwave to bring to room temp.


Red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple GEL food coloring


Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Oil and line how ever many 9” cake pans you have. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Cream the sugar and butter, then add the egg whites (crack them all into one bowl) and add them a little at a time. Add the vanilla and mix until fully incorporated. Then, alternating between wet and dry, add the milk and flour mixture in two parts. Divide the batter amongst 6 bowls (It's about 1 cup each). Weigh your mixing bowl before you begin adding ingredients and then subtract the weight of the bowl from the final measurement after the batter is completed. Divide that number by six and add that weight of batter to each bowl), and then whisk a fair amount of the appropriate food color into each bowl. Keep in mind that the color of the unbaked batter will be the color of the baked batter. Pour into the pans and bake for 15 minutes each. When you remove them from the oven, let them rest on the cooling rack, in the pan, for ten minutes. Then flip, cover, and stash them in the fridge to cool quickly. Now all you need is an excellently thick buttercream frosting recipe. I have a great one, via my aunt Cindy, whom I will copy precisely. Wisk-Kid suggests her Lemon Meringue Buttercream frosting, which sounds great also - she has a recipe for it on her blog.






Some Additional Tips from another AWESOME Blogger (http://www.ovenlove.blogspot.com/)
-Be very liberal with your food coloring if you want the layers to turn out looking vibrant. You need gel food coloring for this; you will not get the look with liquid coloring.
-I wasn't sure about using lemon extract in the frosting instead of my usual vanilla or almond, but it works very well- really tasty. Just enough lemon to make it interesting. Definitely use it!
-Whisk Kid is right- there is A LOT of butter in this recipe, but what are you gonna do? It's dessert. Go big, or go home.
-Make sure you use a good amount of frosting in between the layers so you can see it when you slice the cake. Too little frosting will make it less visually appearing.
Now...help me with a theme for baby boy's 1st Birthday Party...and no worries if it doesn't come to you over night...like I said, we have 5-6 months, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment