Tuesday, October 18, 2011

1st Annual Halloween Party!

I am not big on trick-or-treating...I don't know what it is, but my parents didn't really support it past the age of 10, and so I had limited years with it I guess to start with. I also have an issue with teaching my kids to go door to door in the neighborhood and beg for candy. I can't believe I just said that...I know I'll probably be stoned. I'm just not a fan. I LOVE the Holiday...don't get me wrong. It's just the act of trick-or-treating itself. I know I'll only be able to avoid it for so long...eventually I'll have to do it. But until then...PARTIES! So this year, Doc, Glenna and I plan on throwing a Halloween Party for our kiddos after ZooBoo on Saturday night. I am so excited to have such a fun evening planned for them - they're great kids and they deserve it! We'll be serving Chili for dinner, and I am for sure making some cupcakes to put on my adorable cupcake stand. I have orange, green, purple and black icing...but I'm still experimenting with what I'm going to do for them. Here are a few of my other features for the party!!!
Candy Corn Dipped Marshmallows
All you need to make these are orange and yellow Wilton candy melts. Very important, you MUST use coloring made specifically for candy, you cannot use regular food coloring or gel. In addition to the candy melts, pick up a big bag of campfire marshmallows, some pop sticks and a few clear treat bags.
Spooky Spider Eggs
If deviling your eggs isn't enough this Halloween, spider them too. Cut pitted black olives in half lengthwise and nestle one half on top of an egg for the body, and then cut the other half crosswise into thin slices to form the creepy legs.
Mummy Juice Boxes
Simple! Just use white electrical tape to wrap the juice boxes and throw on a couple of googly eyes to make a spooky beverage!
Mummy Dogs
Ingredients
1can (8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls, 2 1/2slices American cheese, quartered (2.5 oz), 10large hot dogs, Cooking spray
Directions
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. Unroll dough; separate at perforations. Press perforations to seal.
3.With knife or kitchen scissors, cut each rectangle lengthwise into 10 pieces, making a total of 40 pieces of dough. Slice cheese slices into quarters (1/2 slice cheese, cut in half). 4.Wrap 4 pieces of dough around each hot dog and 1/4 slice of cheese to look like "bandages," stretching dough slightly to completely cover hot dog. About 1/2 inch from one end of each hot dog, separate "bandages" so hot dog shows through for "face." On ungreased large cookie sheet, place wrapped hot dogs (cheese side down); spray dough lightly with cooking spray.
5. Bake 13 to 17 minutes or until dough is light golden brown and hot dogs are hot. With mustard, draw features on "face."
Candy Corn Pretzel Flops
Ingredients
1 bag of Hershey's Hugs
1 bag of Candy Corn
1 bag of Waffle Pretzels
Directions
Spread a sheet of parchment paper, or tin foil acrossed a baking sheet. Spread out as many pretzels as you can fit on the sheet acrossed the pan. They only need to be spaced about a 1/2 inch apart. Unwrap the Hershey hugs and place one hug on top of each pretzel. Bake on 350 degrees for 3 minutes on the bottom rack so that you do not brown the hugs. Take the baking sheet out and push the candy corn down into the point of the hug.
Tip: I like to put the baking sheet into the freezer for an hour or so prior to serving so that the candy sets.
Hot Buttered Apple Cider with Rum
(8 servings) This is also great for kids (obviously minus the rum)
Ingredients
For Spiced Butter:8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature¼ cup dark brown sugar, packed1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon1 teaspoon ground nutmeg¼ teaspoon groun
cloves⅛ teaspoon salt
To make:Half-gallon (64 ounces) all natural apple ciderSpiced Butter cinnamon sticks (optional)rum or apple brandy (optional)
Directions
1. Make spiced butter by combining butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a small bowl. Use a plastic spatula to transfer butter mixture to the middle of a 12" x 12" piece of plastic wrap. Fold plastic wrap over butter mixture and shape into a log, twisting ends to seal closed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Bring apple cider to a simmer over medium heat in a large pot, then turn heat to low. Remove spiced butter from plastic wrap and cut into 1-inch pieces. Add to hot cider and stir continuously until all butter is melted.
3. Ladle buttered cider into mug, garnish with cinnamon stick and top with a shot of rum or apple brandy if desired. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment